Flooring replacing in your home's is one of the most popular renovations, and it's an option that makes a massive difference in how the home looks.
Ceramic floor tiles come in a variety of sizes, shapes, and colors. You will want to pick out size and color and design the floor in the room before you purchase any tile. Choose a color that will complement the room and will be somewhat neutral shades of browns, beiges, and whites, along with light shades of color and corrugated color. There even are tiles that look like wood planks in a few different colors.
Put small tiles in a small room to make the room appear larger. Use large tiles or wood plank tiles in large rooms to give a more homey feel.
Floor tile grout comes in many colors. Gone are the days of only white grout. Choosing a darker color grout shows less dirt and stains.
Make sure the floor structure is in good condition and free of any damage or rot, even if you are going to cover it. Covering over a problem is never a good idea; fix the problem first. If you will be installing over a concrete slab, do a moisture test first.
If the substrate is plywood, you will need to install a cement backer-board or Kerdi Schluter membrane.
The elegant look of hardwood floors creates warmth and charm in any room. For centuries people have used wood floors as a way to make their home look richer and more comfortable.
With continued advancements in finishing technologies, today's manufacturers of hardwood floors are able to produce tougher finishes and more stable products. This means quality engineered hardwood floors can go in almost any room in the home and over a wide variety of sub-floors, including dry, fully cured concrete slabs.
Hardwood flooring comes in a wide variety of wood groups. The most commonly used in North America are oak, maple, and ash. However many companies now offer a variety of exotic hardwood species from all over the world.
- Let hardwood acclimate in the room you're installing it in for five days prior to installation. The recommended temperature of the room should be 65 degrees to 75 degrees Fahrenheit and recommended humidity levels should be 30 to 55 percent
- It's important to understand the three basic types of installation: nail-down, glue-down and click-lock
- Make sure you've got the right amount of flooring for your space. Most manufacturers recommend a standard cutting/ordering allowance of 5 percent, and a culling allowance up to an additional 10 percent if installed on a diagonal surface. Hardwood is sold in full case quantities, so round up when ordering
- Install on or above grade
- Most 3/4-inch solid hardwood flooring can be installed using nails or staples over a wood subfloor. Most engineered flooring can be installed using staples, full spread adhesive or a floating method over an approved subfloor
- Make sure you have a sturdy subfloor: 3/4-inch CDX plywood is preferred and 3/4-inch OSB is acceptable. Minimum 5/8-inch CDX existing wood floor or tongue and groove flooring is also acceptable
- When possible, begin installing from the straightest, longest wall and install the flooring perpendicular to the floor joists
Accord Renovations is dedicated providing you
with a level of service that is unmatched. Our attention to details and eye for
design ensures an enjoyable experience. We offer high quality renovation services
and take personal responsibility for each step of the project to finding you the
- 15+ Years experience with focus on customer service and
- We ensure a job is done on time and on budget
- Commitment to your project and flexibility when it comes
to your renovation needs
- We make clients our priority.
Why does a renovation project cost so much?
Professional renovators have spent the time and energy to become experts in their
field. The planning and consideration that they put into your project, in addition to the manual labour
itself, account for part of the cost. The other factor is the long-term outcome. True professionals will put
the time and energy into the work the first time around, so you can trust that the results will last long
after you've stopped thinking about the bill.
How is renovation project initiated?
To initiate the project just give us a call and discuss the matter with us. If you
need to remodel your house, kitchen, bathroom, or basement we are here to help.
What is the total budget for construction?
An estimate is an approximation of what your project will cost. The budget is what
you're allowed to spend.
What is the timeline for the project?
Whether it's a full home renovation or remodeling a room in your home, there are five
distinct stages you can expect to go through: planning, budgeting, demolition, construction and cleanup.
As a rough guideline, most renovation projects we work on can be completed in anywhere from 1-2 weeks to 3
months, depending on the size of the house, the scope and complexity of the project, and some other factors.